Monday, September 2, 2013

Photo-a-Day - September 2013 - Day 02: Memory

There was a recipe on the main Facebook feed this morning that used German Pancakes as the base.  A friend of mine commented that she'd been looking for a good recipe and I remembered this.

Whenever we would visit Grandpa and Grandma Nissen, she would make Grandma Pancakes.  She always used a 10" cast iron skillet and would spread the batter very thinly across the bottom.  When done, the adults would have a runny-yolk fried egg on top and my sister and I would spread them with butter and sugar, than roll them to eat them.

I once made them with very, very thinly sliced apples in the spread in the pancake and, once done, sprinkled with butter and sugar and briefly put under the boiler.

What I most remember is seeing Gram, sitting at her--now my--drop front desk, typing this recipe up with her little Smith Corona typewriter.  I shall always miss my Grands.


No comments:

Post a Comment