Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Photo-a-Day - September 2013 - Day 24: Space

Impressionism is one of my favorite periods of art.  Combined it with the water and boating, is my idea of perfection.  Upon entering the "Impressionists on the Water" exhibit at the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco, the first thing you see is the protective space created around an actual cruising gig believed to have belonged to Emile Zola and the model of a boat designed by Gustave Caillebotte (1848-1894).  I am embarrassed to admit that I don't recall the artist of the wonderful painting.

The main impetus for my attending the show, aside from spending an afternoon with a good friend, was the works by Caillebotte.  Yes, I love Monet, Renoir, Sisly, Boudin, Lepic and the others, but works of Caillebotte, a boat builder, yachtsman and artist, have always spoken to me.  From the first time I saw his "Paris Streets, Rainy Day" and "Planers 1875" posters of both I have framed, I was captured by the sense of being part of the paintings.

"Impressionists on the Water" provided me the opportunity to see the originals of three more of his works.  Of those, the one I most loved, but wasn't allowed to photograph myself, was "Boating on Yerres."



No comments:

Post a Comment