Sunday, April 6, 2014

Photo-A-Day: April 6, 2014 - Foreign

Although it was a business trip, my trip to England was one of life's highlights.  I spent the weekdays in a small town outside London and moved into London on Friday after work.  In both placed, I took what free time I had to tour. 

Saturday--my only full day to sightsee--I spent the morning at the Tower of London.  I love history and architecture, not to mention jewelry, and figured the Tower had it all.  Was I ever right.

This is Tower Green. In the foreground, is a Yeoman of the Guard and it's not easy to become one.  There are only 60 Yeoman, plus 6 officers.  They are retired members of the British Army, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force,but not the Royal Navy as the Navy reports to the Admiralty and the other branches report to the Crown.  To become a Yeoman--there are only four appointed each year--they must be over 42 years of age on appointment, and under 55 years. They must be sergeants or above, but not commissioned. They must also have had at least 22 years' service and have been awarded the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM).

Behind him are two of the famous rooks, and in the background is a guard in front of The Queen's House where Mary, Queen of Scots, is said to have lived.  It is now home for the Resident Governor of the Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment