Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Photo-a-Day - May 2013 - Day 21: Pot

When you grow up in the Mid-West, picnics are a very big part of summer life.  They certainly were when I was a kid.  However, one thing that made our picnics unique, was that my Dad absolutely refused to use plastic anything.

My mom had a complete set of Red Wing pottery dishes that we used.  Plates, mugs, casseroles, and a large pot for baked beans.  Sadly, mom sold almost all of her Red Wing in various garage sales.

I always remembered those dishes and the memories associated with them.  As an adult, I set about building my own collection; and I have.  Over the years, I have acquired mugs--great mugs--dinner plates, salad plates, several serving pieces and a pitcher.  However, these may be my favorites.  I have used these are wonderful individual lidded pots to serve baked beans, chowder, onion soup, even desserts. 

They may not be the same dishes my family had, but the memories are still there.


No comments:

Post a Comment