Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Photo-a-Day - March 2013 - Day 04: Dish

Years ago, my parents took a vacation; just the two of them.  They did this every other year, leaving my sister and me with my grandparents.  That may be part of why their marriage has lasted 68 years.

Anyway, in about 1957 they went to the Black Hills.  On their way, in a small gift shop in Minnesota, my mother saw a small plate that she just loved.  She paid $7.00 for it, which was a lot to her, at the time.  That little plate served as a candy dish, an ashtray, a plate for cookies, celery, carrots and many other things.  She even did an India ink drawing of the boy in the center.

After I left home, she knew I'd always loved it, so she gave both the plate and the drawing to me.  Curious, I turned it over to see whether there as an indication of the maker.  Oh, yes there was.

The plate bore the signature of Bjørn Wiinblad, who later when on to design for Rosenthal and Nymolle.  What's interesting is that his is the only signature on the plate; no other markings.  

The plate is now on the stand and mom's drawing has been archivally framed.  I still love both pieces.



No comments:

Post a Comment