Thursday, March 6, 2014

Photo-a-Day - March 2013 - Day 06: Chair

Many years ago, I worked for a company that moved into a wonderful old building in downtown San Francisco.  Our phones weren't yet working, so I befriended an elderly, semi-retired gentleman whose office was next door.  His office was filled with solid oak furniture that you just knew he had bought new in the 1940s, perhaps.    I told him how much I loved his furniture and if he did decide to fully retire and would be interested in selling any pieces, I'd love to know.

About a year later, we were informed our building was being torn down--such a travesty--and we all had to move.  Coming back from lunch one day, I see my coworker moving a captains chair into our office.  When I ask, she whispered, "He's giving them to us!".  In return for hugs from Kate and me, Mr. Thomas gave us a four-section barristers bookcase and a pair of captains chairs.  Kate, bless her, decided since I was the reader, I should take a bookcase and that we split the chairs.

Kate and I have lost touch, and I'm certain Mr. Thomas has long passed on.  Yet, each time I pass my bookcase, now filled with cookbooks, or look at my chair, I send the thoughts of love.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment